Opening a bank account
The CR recommends that students prioritize opening a bank account as soon as you arrive in Cambridge, especially for international students.
The Cambridge University Student Union (CUSU) provides a great guide for international students through iCUSU (International Student’s Campaign), including specific information regarding bank accounts.
There are many banks which have branches in Cambridge. Barclays,RBS,Natwest,HSBC, and Santanderare popular choices and they each offer accounts for international students and you can sign up online for an appointment to open an account.
To open an account, you will need to bring:
- Your passport or EU ID card
- Your visa (if applicable)
- The College letter confirming admission which you should receive on your arrival at College (or can be obtained from the Tutorial Office)
- Proof of your home address e.g. bank statement, utility bill etc.
- Additional requirements can be confirmed the website of your bank.
College sends invoices as a PDF document to your University email account, which need to be paid termly in most cases, or monthly. The invoice includes your rent, Kitchen Minimum Billing, and college and university feeds. Each invoice needs to be paid at the beginning of term in order to avoid accumulating a penalty interest charge of 1.5% per month.
The College website has more information about fees and charges through the Finance Office here.